Host an SEP Intern
Registration for the 2016 SEP is OPEN.
Due to overwhelming interest from both host sites and students, the Feb. 01, 2016 match date will be rescheduled. Host sites will be notified via e-mail.
Scroll down for registration information.
"Health care executives should take advantage of programs like the Institute's Summer Enrichment Program, which is an excellent pipeline for developing diverse talent. The interns are highly qualified future health care leaders who bring their skills, knowledge and enthusiasm to their host sites and can tackle meaningful work, during their stay."
Todd Hallmark, FACHE
Chief Operating Officer, Choctaw National Health Services Authority
Bridges Newsletter, Fall 2011, Vol. XXI, Issue 4
Build your Leadership Pipeline today!
The Institute for Diversity in Health Management is seeking host sites to participate in the Institute’s Summer Enrichment Program (SEP). The SEP places promising, young, underrepresented graduate students in a 10 week, immersive internship at your hospital or medical center. While the SEP interns enjoy a real-world internship experience at your facility, you gain access to the healthcare leaders of tomorrow. Since 1994, more than 1,100 interns have successfully completed the program. Former SEP interns are now the CEOs and administrators of hospitals and medical centers around the country.
The Institute’s SEP partners include the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), and the National Association of Health Services Executives (NAHSE).
SEP interns are all first and second year, health-administration or public-health graduate students, who are currently enrolled in a nationally recognized graduate school. Interns maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher and are extensively vetted by the Institute staff in a series of pre-placement interviews.
- SEP Internships last for 10 weeks, typically from June through August.
- SEP Interns are paid a weekly stipend by their host sites to help them cover the costs of their summer long internship. (approximately $12.50 an hour).
- SEP Interns come from cities and colleges around the country. The SEP can locate a students closer to your facility. If you want to transition them into your facility, their close proximity to friends and family ease the transition.
- SEP Interns also complete a summer-long "special project", intended to use their time and talents directed towards a project that could have a lasting positive effect on your organization.
- Participating hospitals and medical centers enjoy a complimentary membership in the Institute for Diversity in Health Management for the rest of the year, for one facility. (Previousy enrolled Institute members enjoy an equivalent financial discount off of their SEP fees.)
Approximately one quarter of SEP interns are offered permanent, full-time, post-grad work at their host site. The cost of hosting an SEP intern is significantly less than an extensive employment search for qualified MHA candidates for open job positions.
Participation in the SEP also sends a powerful message that your hospital is committed to diversity and equality at the same time that it gives underrepresented graduate students the jumpstart that they need to begin their healthcare careers.
For a more thorough introduction to the program, please download and view the "SEP Introductory Brochure".
Registration in the SEP database is a simple process. Follow these steps to get registered.
- To Register as a Host Site for the Summer Enrichment Program, click here. Mentorscout is our database partner. They host the SEP database for us. Bookmark this page for easy access.
- In the "Enter your Organization:" form, enter IFDSEP.
- Enter your profile information. Be sure to fill out the grey "Host Site Section". Skip the blue "Student Section".
- Once you have completed the registration, you will receive an email with your Profile Id. Save that email. You'll need that to login, update your profile and search for interns.
- Download and review the SEP Host Site Manual. (Your guide to administrating the SEP for your host site.)
- Download and review the Preceptors Guide. (Enhanced instruction for your onsite preceptor.)
- Download and fill out the SEP Host Site Commitment Form. Email a completed copy to Mr. Biddle at email@example.com.
- Email Membership & Education Specialist, Chris O. Biddle at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with any further instructions for participating in the Summer Enrichment Program.
If you have any questions, email Mr. Biddle at the above address and he will assist you. Once your profile is created, you're ready to recieve intern matches.
2016 SEP Schedule:
|Oct. 05, 2015||Registration opens for the 2016 SEP season.|
|Jan. 28-29, 2016||(12:00 p.m. CST) Host Site Orientations|
|TBD||Matching between host sites and students begins.|
|April 29, 2016||Matching between host sites and students concludes|
|June 06, 2016||Most SEP 10 week internships begin.*|
|August 12, 2016||Most SEP internships end.* / Graduation Webinar|
|August 2015||Exit interviews & resolution of the 2015 SEP.|
|Oct. 01, 2016||Registration for the 2017 SEP begins.|
*Due to variable scheduling in host sites and academic universities, dates for the beginning and end of internships may vary slightly.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at IFD-SEP@aha.org or at (312)-422-2658.